Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Vehicle Connectivity & Autonomy Research (VCAR) Group within the Vehicle and Mobility Systems Research Section of the Buildings and Transportation Science Division at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking applicants for the position of Senior Research and Development Staff. The successful candidate will provide R&D leadership to the group that strategically advances science and technology consistent with ORNL’s aspiration to be the world’s premier R&D institution and ORNL’s science culture.
The Vehicle and Mobility Systems Research Section focuses on accelerating the development of advanced vehicles and complex mobility systems through advances in connected and automated vehicle technologies, communications, systems integration, and decision science. The VCAR Group leads cross-disciplinary research to develop, evaluate and optimize advanced connected and automated vehicle (CAV) applications and systems and to advance our understanding of energy implications and opportunities of advanced mobility technologies. Possible research activities span a broad range including large-scale traffic modeling and simulations, laboratory assessments of specific technologies at the vehicle-level, real-world deployments and evaluations of new control strategies for CAVs in actual traffic, and evaluations of the impacts of CAV technologies on the transportation system and society as a whole.
The purpose of the position is to lead research and development (R&D) in analysis, simulations, controls development and experimental evaluations, at both the vehicle and traffic system levels, to accelerate the development and demonstration of advanced transportation technologies for CAVs.
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
The selected candidate will function as a senior staff member working with a group of scientists and engineers to collaborate in applied R&D in CAVs and related systems in support of the US Department of Energy’s Vehicle Technologies Office and the US Department of Transportation, while partnering with automotive manufacturers, suppliers, external research organizations and other stakeholders.
Working as a team member with experienced researchers, the candidate will be expected to lead projects and contribute to formulating research problems, developing novel research strategies, and supporting the design, evaluation, demonstration, and implementation of CAVs systems. Research in this position may involve the following:
- Modeling, experimentation, and supportive analyses using state-of-the art methods.
- Control design and implementation for CAVs and supporting traffic management systems that improve the energy efficiency, safety, and other mobility benefits.
- Coordination with stakeholders to manage the demonstration, implementation and evaluation of CAVs systems.
The successful candidate will be expected to have the ability to work creatively and cooperatively as a member of an interdisciplinary research team. Researchers are sought with a R&D background, which may include industrial, academic, or research institute experience related to CAVs.
Specific job responsibilities and roles include:
- Provide scientific leadership for other technical staff to perform applied R&D in CAVs technology development, evaluation and testing, including the execution of experimental tests in ORNL’s signature laboratories
- Develop and assess new CAV technologies and the supporting infrastructure needed for effective CAV operations and integration into current transportation systems
- Quantify the benefits for energy savings, mobility, and safety that can be achieved with emerging CAVs technology to provide vehicle manufacturers, policy makers and other stakeholders with technology solutions that offer the greatest impacts to society
- Identify and develop implementation strategies for CAV technologies that enable a smooth and cost-effective transition to a future system that includes highly optimized connected and automated transportation
- Represent ORNL and make technical presentations to sponsors, technical merit reviewers, and at national/international technical conferences and symposia
- Network and develop collaborative R&D with other groups and divisions internally and with DOE, the industry, academia, and other stakeholders
- Prepare new proposals to internal and external funding agencies
- Publish original research in peer-reviewed journals and other professional technical publications
- Adhere to ORNL’s culture of safety in all aspects of work performance and general conduct.
- Some travel will be required.
- Requires a Ph.D. with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience or a M.S. with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience
- Background experience and current field of study should have an emphasis on CAVs and associated systems
- Proficiency in the use of industry standard modeling and simulation tools, such as MATLAB/SIMULINK
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to support regular interactions with ORNL staff, management, sponsors and others and to prepare reports, publications, and journal articles
- Strong interpersonal skills to support team building and leadership. This includes ability to both advise and learn in multi-disciplinary environment with staff from diverse technical backgrounds
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to learn and provide creative approaches to performing technical projects and solving technical challenges
- A command of standard Microsoft Office tools
- A PhD in Mechanical or Transportation engineering or similar is preferred, with prior experience in control development, sensors and instrumentation systems for CAVs, modeling and analysis of the energy impacts of CAVs applications and/or CAVs system deployments
- Expertise in the use of microscopic traffic simulation software, such as VISSIM or SUMO
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ornl.gov.